6/27/2005

Adventures in citizenship

Today I lobbed my first pitch into getting the Mississippi State Legislature to pass legislation that would protect the private property rights of its citizens. I requested that eminent domain proceedings be banned for purely economic reasons. I faxed a letter to Governor Barbour, Lt. Governor Amy Tuck, my state Representative Jessica Upshaw, and my state Senator Deborah Dawkins. It felt good to at least try something. After I had faxed the letters, I showed them to my boss and he suggested that I write up a petition, so after lunch I did. Two minutes later, I had my first two signatures. After an hour I had thirty. This was while I was still at work. I have some great bosses!!! Yes, they also signed.

Three people volunteered to take some of the petitions home and get their neighbors to sign. Tomorrow, I am going to contact one of the local radio stations that is very active in the community to see if they will sponsor an on-line petition.

Now is a good time to gather signatures. Governor Barbour has called a fourth special session this year and it will start tomorrow.

Wish me luck!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home