6/01/2005

Start of the hurricane season

June 1 through November is the hurricane season. The Mississippi Gulf Coast was spared the ravages of Hurricane Ivan last year. We have not been so fortunate in the past. On August 17, 1969, Hurricane Camille slammed into Pass Christian MS causing catastrophic devastion from Bay St Louis to Biloxi. She claimed over 200 lives and almost wiped off Pass Christian from the map. It took the coast over to 20 years to recover. Hurricane Camille was a Catagory 5. For more information Geocities Hurricanes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pass Christian MS

The worst hurricane I experienced was Elena on September 7, 1985. My ex and I stayed in our house in Gulfport. During the worst of it, part of the roof in the dining room was blown off. There was a lot of water damage but fortunately no one was hurt. There was one point during the hurricane when I was terrified. It seemed like the living room was being lifted up and then gently put back down. You could see the walls expanding and contracting. We were so lucky. After the storm, it was two weeks before electricity was restored. Outdoor grilling is not very fun after two weeks.

I start preparing now. Every week I add to my canned foods stock. I buy batteries and test all my flashlights. I start buying paper plates, paper cups, and plastic untensils. This way I can do it slowly and except for things like bread and extra water, I can avoid the crushing lines of people trying to purchase the basic goods for survival. I make sure I have propane for my camp grill and barbecue grill.

The experts at the Tropical Prediction Center and Dr. Gary Sheets predict that this season will worse than last year when Florida was hit by four hurricanes. It is predicted that there will be 15 named storms.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Well, what can I say - Let us hope you and your family will be safe Seawitch.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home