2/02/2006

To Be Able to Fly



While at the beach Tuesday, I found myself encircled by a flock of seagulls. The following poem by William Wordsworth is about skylarks but it describes beautifully my feelings of wanting to fly with them and glide upon the wind.








To A Sky-Lark


Up with me! up with me into the clouds!
For thy song, Lark, is strong;
Up with me, up with me into the clouds!
Singing, singing,
With all the heav'ns about thee ringing,
Lift me, guide me, till I find
That spot which seems so to thy mind!

I have walk'd through wildernesses dreary,
And today my heart is weary;
Had I now the soul of a Faery,
Up to thee would I fly.
There is madness about thee, and joy divine
In that song of thine;
Up with me, up with me, high and high,
To thy banqueting-place in the sky!
Joyous as Morning,
Thou art laughing and scorning;
Thou hast a nest, for thy love and thy rest:
And, though little troubled with sloth,
Drunken Lark! thou would'st be loth
To be such a Traveller as I.
Happy, happy Liver!
With a soul as strong as a mountain River,
Pouring out praise to the Almighty Giver,
Joy and jollity be with us both!
Hearing thee, or else some other,
As merry a Brother,
I on the earth will go plodding on,
By myself, chearfully, till the day is done.

4 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

It's beautiful, Karen. Simply beautiful.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esther,

Thank yuo.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Love the poem and the birds pic.
Sad that only a few of us can just enjoy life.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

felis,

You can't help but enjoy life by going to the beach!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home