2/11/2006

Let Me Count the Ways..

Just in time for Valentine's Day a new study has shown that altruism leads to happier marriages. It isn't very surprising that having a concern for others would lead to happier marriages. All those scientists who gathered the data for this study just needed to read some poetry. Elizabeth Barrett Browning knew it and so do most couples. It's putting aside your needs to help another that leads to greater happiness. Even in my bitter marriage there were a few glimmers of that true concern. When we worked together to help out others and each other, we were at our happiest. Alas, that period only lasted a few brief months before descending into violence and our eventual divorce.

Anyway, the people who did the research could have saved some money by reading this:

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home