3/25/2006

Blogiversary

A year ago today, I wrote my first post. Over this past year I've written many posts about our armed forces, what I perceived to be the evils of Islam, politics here and there, and Israel. But since August 29 or more correctly September 9(the day my power came back on), this blog has been primarily an outlet for me in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It is also turning into a photoblog and my reflections on coming home to my Jewishness.

Hurricane Katrina was and remains one of the most life-changing events I've ever experienced. It has caused me to rethink what my priorities are. I've had to face challenges in my comfortable world and face up to the reality of who I am, a woman who was scared by the storm. My world is a lot less comfortable than it used to be. I'm not talking about material comforts, I'm talking about the reality of having to face issues that I wasn't ready for.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to remain on the Coast. So much has changed and many are making the decision to leave. The whole flavor and feel of the place I call home is going to be going through big changes in the years ahead. I don't know if I have to courage to live in a place that is so changed or if I have the courage to move on to a totally different city, state, or country.


Whatever the future holds, I hope I'll be ready.

This past year of blogging has been a wonderful experience. I've met people from across the country and the world.

Basil linked with Picnic 2006-03-26

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Happy Blogiversary. It sounds like it's been quite a journey ...

[blogger comments still shows my old blog - my new blog addy is http://www.bluestarchronicles.com ]

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks beth.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I remember what the earthquake did here in '94. Events like that are very unsettling.

9:52 PM  
Blogger elmers brother said...

Congrats Seawitch...I love your blog.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Emanuel Ben-Zion said...

Happy blogday.

Some say that Home is where your heart is, others say that Home is where your roots are.

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jack,

They are unsettling. I just never really understood how much.

elmers,

Thank you.

emanuel,

That is my dilemma. My heart seems to be saying make Aliyah. It has been even before the storm. And with the Law of Return, I can because of my grandfather. But my heart also tells me that Mississippi holds my family.

I want so bad to go to Israel but my son, my Mom, and my brothers and sisters are all here.

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

I hope you hang out for many many more years.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

patrick,

Thanks!

5:16 AM  
Blogger St. Casserole said...

I'm glad you decided to blog. Where would we be without your insight, photos and humor???
Congrats!!!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

st c,

Thank you! Thank goodness you blog also. I enjoy your humor and insights.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

I'm so sorry I missed your blogiversary!!! (well, that and many, many other posts -- darn my work schedule!) Congrats!!!!!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esther,

That's okay. It's a good reason.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home