8/02/2005

Transitions

In my July 4th post, I gave a brief history of my family: my father was Jewish and my mother Baptist. Neither he nor my Mom practiced their religion when I was growing up. When I was 18, I made the decision to become a Catholic. My Mom and sister Denise converted also. Catholicism at the time seemed to be the religion that was most concerned about social justice.

I really did not consider what I believed about God. Over the past 20+ years, my faith in God has grown deeper but not my religion. I have been a lapsed Catholic for over two years now. Last year, after my Dad died, I wanted to learn more about Judaism. I have been helped by a Jewish cousin who contacted me a couple of years ago while conducting genealogy research. I was trying to find out about Pearl, who was my great-great-aunt and her grandmother. She has been extremely helpful and has recommended numerous books for me to read about Jewish history and beliefs.

Since January of this year, I have e-mailed questions to several rabbis. To learn more, I am planning to attend a Jewish Outreach program in Mobile this September.

Is it possible to have a Jewish heart and soul and not be fully aware of it?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

patrickafir,

That is who is holding the Outreach Program.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Is it possible to have a Jewish heart and soul and not be fully aware of it?

YES!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark,

Thanks!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home