1/20/2006

Another Horoscope

I read my horoscope daily. They are a lot of fun and not to be taken seriously but sometimes, they are appropriate. Like mine for today:

You mustn't expect any enormous changes today, dear Scorpio. However, the process you began three or four years ago will accelerate slightly. You are changing the moorings of your identity, the ideas that make you sure of who you are. Your family, background, and education no longer count as much as your own spiritual foundations. Don't be afraid of this shift - go with it. MSNBC


I have always had a fascination with Judaism. Throughout my life I've marveled at how Jews have been able to maintain their identity throughout the many prosecutions against them. Since I've started on the road to come home to my Jewish identity, I've had to reflect on many of my beliefs. The one question that people ask me is about Jesus. Since I've called myself a Christian for much of my life, this is the most difficult. I've been reflecting on it for over a year now and have come to some conclusions.

Even when I was going to Mass on a weekly basis and teaching catechism, all my thoughts and prayers were directed to G-d. I do not believe I've ever directed one prayer to Jesus as Christians do. G-d was always the main focus in my life. In other words, even though I called myself a Christian, I was not. This is a hard thing to realize because it seems I've been living a lie most of my life. I did try very hard to live a Christian life but believe my heart and soul is a Jewish one. When I first become a Catholic some 30 years ago, even then I realized if I knew how to go about converting to Judaism, I would have.

By taking the road to becoming a Jew, I feel like I'm coming home. I am no longer living a lie.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark,

It really does feel like coming home.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home