9/10/2005

Mixed Emotions

Yesterday, after I came home from work, I had a good long cry. After seeing all the belongings of the people in D'Iberville lining the streets, it was all I could do. Their homes were flooded and the only thing to do was to throw every thing away. The house that has been converted into our temporary offices was about the only one in the neighborhood not to have flooding. The water stopped at the door.

I woke up this morning crying also. I just could not get the images out of my mind. The only way I fell asleep last night was after reading some of Jeremiah and some Pslams.

This afternoon I laid down for what I told myself was a 30 minute nap. I woke up three hours later and was angry. I was angry because it just seemed that the world has forgotten about us in Mississippi and while I know in my heart that this isn't true, I still felt the anger.

So, I decided I had enough of the pity party and took my dog for a walk. I can't let her run loose in the fields because there is too much debris and I am fearful that she will come across a snake. I was going to take pictures of the destruction in my neighborhood but didn't. Somehow I felt it would be too obscene for me to show the destruction of my neighbors homes and pictures of their belongings that have been gathered in debris piles.

Anyhow, when I got home, I started laughing. You see, I picked up a set of keys and locked the door when I set out on the walk. It wasn't until I got home I realized I had the wrong set and had once again locked myself out. To make matters worse, I had locked myself out the first night I returned home and had to use my spare key I keep hidden and had not replaced it. But the cavalry showed up in the form of next door neighbors. Seabees are ingenious and he soon had 'broken' into my house and unlocked my door for me. Needless to say, I replaced the spare key.

Even in the midst of the stuff I've been dealing with, it's nice to know I haven't changed too much. That I can still laugh at myself when I lock myself out. I do it on a fairly frequent basis. They say Einstein was absent minded also but I know I don't come close to his genius. That is the only thing we have in common, absent mindedness.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deadman said...

"I was angry because it just seemed that the world has forgotten about us in Mississippi"

If you promise not to forget about us in California when we get The Big One, we promise not to forget about Ole' Miss!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark,

It's a deal!!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only people that have forgotten about Mississippi are the ones trying to politicize the situation in NO. The rest of us have not forgotten you in our thoughts, or donations. Stay well.

Sherri

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was heartening to see earlier that someone from Franklin Graham's org was working in your neighborhood. That was the organization that I suggested helping during the blogburst. And I admit, I had forgotten as admitted earlier, but no longer. The problem with the National Media is that because people in Mississippi had a good plan that they followed, there is not as much of a personal toll that the media can exploit to attack Bush. Besides, you guys are doing what needs to be done! You just don't give the exempt media ANY chance to attack Bush. How can you expect any publicity if the media can't attack? ;-)

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you guys, like I said it was only for a an hour or so that I felt that way and help is pouring in to Mississippi.

It feels like I am in a bubble some time and the isolation cannot be described.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

Sherri is right on the money. We so do care. Please don't take the MSM as speaking for the rest of us. Shudder at the thought.

I'm glad you're getting some taste of normalcy, even if it is locking yourself out of your house. There will be more moments, I promise. You're doing great. You're going through a hell most people can't begin to identify with. But you're doing such a mitzvah by being our eyes and ears and reporting what's going on. Thank you so much. I know it can't be easy.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're praying for you and we haven't forgotten you.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home