1/21/2006

Tidbits

In a previous post I had shared some things that I learned about my grandfather and grandmother. I was so glad to have learned more about both of them. My Dad had been estranged from his father for many years. I only knew my grandfather for 14 years before he died. My grandmother died when Dad was still a child.

When I spoke with my cousin who is his 90's, he had shared more information with me. My grandfather was a bit of a maverick in his day. Not only did he buck tradition and marry a non-Jewish wife, they also divorced later. That was something unheard of in the 1930's. I do not know the circumstances and nor should I know. Some things are best left between the people involved.

My grandfather was in his 20's during the Great Depression. He was sent to Philadelphia in WPA program. He had a good grasp of accounting and business. He was assigned to the some sort of public works and there he met the woman I always considered to be my grandmother, Dorothy. Her daughter Mary Louise was an aunt to me in every way. When I visited Chicago, she would take me to the art museums and other places. But I digress, I'm talking about my grandfather.

While in Philadelphia, he put in a bid to do some major water and sewage work. He won the bid. The only problem was he didn't actually have any capital to secure the workers and materials needed for the job. I am sure that if he had the resources necessary, he would have done a wonderful job. He was moved backed to Chicago with his new wife and step-daughter.

During WWII he served his country by doing what he knows best, construction. He supervised construction sites in Salinas, Kansas and in New Mexico.

I hope to learn more about my grandfather. He was a fascinating man.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan Zaremba said...

Normally we could learn more about our grandparents when we are younger.
But we do not care all that much about things like this.
Only later, when it is more difficult because some of the older members of our families passed away.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

felis,

I know I missed the opportunity to ask him all kinds of questions. I thought I would have more time. But he became very ill and there was not the time.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

Seawitch, I think it's awesome you're trying to find this out and are making progress. Good for you!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esther,

Thanks!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home