9/27/2005

Awash in Beauty

Another artist whose work I escape into is American painter John Singer Sargent. He spent most of his life in Europe and lived in London. The colors in the following selections are vibrant and draw you in.

The Oyster Gatherers of Cancale is at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington DC and was painted in 1878.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I lot of the prints that I have hanging in my home deal with the sea and the harvesting of the sea. That is what drew me to this one. I do have a reproduction of this hanging in my home. He has captured so beautifully the blue of the sky at the sea. I can feel the warmth of the sand and water on my bare feet when I look at this one.


The The Garden Wall is at the Museum of Fine arts, Boston and was painted in 1910.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com This one keeps me guessing. Is there a fountain behind that garden wall? It seems to be a wall to a courtyard garden which would have one. I think these two ladies are talking and laughing about men.

Sargent's most famous painting is Madame X which caused a scandal in 1884 Paris.

Another nice escape. I do not know anything about the different techniques that are used in painting, I just enjoy what they invoke in me. Hope you enjoy my excursions as much as me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly lovely, thank you for sharing.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sk,

Glad you enjoyed.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

love the reflection of legs in the pools of waters....

7:37 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

Love that first one....definitely want to get lost in there.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great paintings.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AW, esther, and felis,

Glad ya'll enjoyed them.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home