8/06/2005

Movie Meme Time

Thanks to Indigo Red I was tagged with a meme today.

It is a Movie Meme and consists of four questions:

1. The number of movies I own.

2. The name of the last film I purchased.

3. The name of the last film I saw at a theatre.

4. 5 movies that mean a lot to me or that I have seen over and over.


I own a total of 3 movies (My entertainment budget is usually reserved for books) and they are also my last purchases for myself, the Star Wars Trilogy (the first 3).

The last movie I saw at a theatre was Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The last one was hard. My tastes run from comedy to Shakespeare. I can enjoy Spaceballs as well as appreciate Henry V. As for the five that have the most meaning or that I have seen over and over, I actually have about ten of those but have narrowed it down to five:

Dune with Kyle MacLachlan. This one I have seen over five times. This science fiction story is about the noble house Atriedes which is being destroyed for the sake of a substance called 'spice'. Technology such as computers are not allowed. 'Spice' is used for everything, intergalactic travel, math computations, medicine, and longevity. The whole world runs on 'spice' and whoever controls it, controls the universe. The only place 'spice' can be found is a planet called Dune. To me, it is analogous to the oil situation we have now.

Edward Scissorhands with Johnny Depp. I still cry when I see this movie. This one and Beetlejuice are the only ones I like by Tim Burton. Edward has been made but his creator(Vincent Price) dies before hands are made and so Edward has blades where his fingers should be . Edward spends a lonely life and then finds acceptance for a little while. It is a heartbreaker.

The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. I have seen this one over 20 times. It usually comes on every year around Passover and Easter. It appeals to me because of the struggle for freedom and the preserverance over injustice.

Philadelphia with Tom Hanks. This one brought home the suffering of those who have AIDS and the discrimination they face.

Sophie's Choice with Meryl Streep. I first saw this when I was 13. Really too young to appreciate what was going on. But I have seen it a couple more times since then. The effect of the flashbacks from her life in the US during the 1950's to her times in a concentration camp are effective and do not prepare you for the revelation of her choice.

Now I have the fun task of passing this on to a couple of others. Esther I do apologize for tagging you. Patrick you're it as well. I hope you both will be able to do this but can understand if you have time constraints.

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

I can't believe you tagged me! :( I shouldn't have read down this far, lol. I never do these things. Maybe I'll fill it out but I don't tag others. It's like me with chain letters. I always break 'em. Maybe that's why my life is a mess? Haha.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esther,

I do apologize for tagging you. I understand perfectly if you don't do it. These things are a bother.

My life is probably a mess because I break a lot of these things as well as chain letters. I did this one mainly because Indigo Red is unique. If you have a chance, check out his latest post. It's a great look at family reunions.

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home